Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Familiarity is Key?

A brainstorming session a few weeks ago fostered this hot mess:



When I went to Clay Lord's Intrinsic Impact talk a few days after that, I felt like my head would fall off from all the nodding I was doing.  I'm reading the book, Counting New Beans, now.  The book has much bigger ideas than my silly brainstorming cluster, and I can't wait to really dive deep into it.

The gist of my brainstorming all those weeks ago was to think about why people go to the theatre, especially those who aren't "theatre people."  (Which I'll argue that all audiences are "theatre people" of some sort, they ARE in a dang theatre - but that's a tangent.)

People go to theatre for all sorts of reasons, and - to me - the gateway seems to be familiarity.  If they know someone involved in the production, if they know the story, if they have a tradition built around going to see it, or if they have a certain interest in the history or the aesthetic of the piece, then they have some familiarity with the work and it becomes more accessible.  This is the cornerstone to my love of dramaturgy and key to getting people to show up to see and become a part of the work we pour our hearts and souls into.

MUCH more later, over the course of many entries, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment